Become a Resident – Soddo Hospital
The Pan-African Academy of Christian Surgeons (PAACS) is a strategic response to meet the need for surgeons in Africa. PAACS Ethiopia is a five-year general surgery training program based at Soddo Christian Hospital with rotation visits at Myungsung Christian Medical Center, that aims to train general surgeons who will work and remain in areas of surgical need in Ethiopia. PAACS Ethiopia provides a broad-based training experience to prepare graduates for the variety and rigor of surgical practice in a resource-limited setting.
College of Surgeons of East, Central, and Southern Africa
Both Soddo Christian Hospital and Myungsung Christian Medical Center are fully accredited by the College of Surgeons of East, Central, and Southern Africa (COSECSA) in General Surgery. COSECSA is an independent body that fosters postgraduate education in surgery and provides surgery training throughout the regions of East, Central, and Southern Africa. COSECSA is a non-profit organization in the constituent countries of Burundi, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. More information is available at www.cosecsa.org.
To qualify, applicants must:
- Be a citizen of an African country
- Be a graduate of a recognized medical program
- By the time training begins, applicants must have finished any government obligation of service as a general practitioner and have received their government release, including their medical license and medical school diploma
- Be 35 years old or less and be fluent in English
- Have a strong written recommendation from a character reference and also from a medical colleague who knows you well and has worked with you in a clinical setting
- Be in excellent health and without any conditions that would limit a resident’s ability to complete the requirements of PAACS’ training programs, certified by a licensed physician
- Accept that all residents are financially responsible for the costs of their training. This includes their educational and living expenses. This totals approximately $100,000 USD for the full five-year program. A limited number of full financial sponsorships are available through PAACS for those who qualify. This requires a separate application. Otherwise, applicants must either qualify for sponsorship from a hospital, church, mission, or other organization able to provide financial assistance for living and educational costs during training (not including housing and healthcare) or be able to pay the expenses personally.
- Agree to accept work at a hospital approved by the applicant’s sponsor, one year for each year of funded residency training
Please download and fill out the PAACS Resident Application to begin your application process.
Special Note: The complete application is due by September 15 of the year prior to beginning training January 1. The application has multiple parts so begin early and be aware that the full application with all accompanying documents needs to be completed by September 15.
PAACS Resident Testimonies
PAACS is blessed to be able to educate and disciple residents in 10 different hospitals. All of our residents have amazing stories that led them to pursue a career in surgery. We are honored to share some of the testimonies of their journey of becoming a PAACS surgical resident.